Recycling Today APR 2023 / by MEGAN SMALLEY / Read original article

Eastman, the United States Automotive Materials Partnership LLC, Padnos and Yanfeng partnered to demonstrate recycling of plastics contained in end-of-life vehicle shredder byproduct.

A collaborative closed-loop recycling project for automotive mixed plastic waste has achieved positive results, demonstrating plastic recycling from end-of-life vehicle shredder byproduct.

Several companies collaborated on the project, including Kingsport, Tennessee-based Eastman, the United States Automotive Materials Partnership LLC (USAMP), Holland, Michigan-based Padnos and global automotive interior supplier Yanfeng.

When automobiles are at the end of their life, metals, tire and glass account for 80 percent to 90 percent of the materials that can be recycled through traditional mechanical recycling streams. The other 10 percent to 20 percent, referred to as auto shredder residue (ASR), consists of mixed plastic and other nonrecycled materials that traditionally end up in landfills or are recovered through waste-to-energy technologies.

Eastman announced the project in July 2021 with plans to conduct research for about 15 months after the project launched that month. Padnos supplied a plastic-rich fraction of ASR as a sustainable feedstock to Eastman’s carbon renewal technology (CRT). Eastman says it has successfully demonstrated addition and conversion of that ASR feedstock into a synthesis gas, which is subsequently used downstream in the production of its polyester and cellulosic thermoplastics. The resins from this production process were further formulated and then supplied to Yanfeng.

Read the rest of this article HERE

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin